Close Menu
TMC PalauTMC Palau
  • Home
  • Palau News
  • Pacific Islands
  • Regional Politics
  • Regional Sports
  • Development & Policy

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

What's Hot

Palau tourism rebounds in 2026 as major markets post strong gains

August 18, 2026

Ngardmau Sets Special Governor Election for Sept. 18 as Court Case Nears Trial

August 18, 2026

OFC Pro League prepares for its second season

August 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
TMC PalauTMC Palau
Subscribe
  • Home
  • Palau News
  • Pacific Islands
  • Regional Politics
  • Regional Sports
  • Development & Policy
TMC PalauTMC Palau
Home»Regional Politics»Four months on, still no charges in death of man in Fiji military custody
Regional Politics

Four months on, still no charges in death of man in Fiji military custody

TMC PalauBy TMC PalauAugust 18, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The Fiji Police Force has yet to charge any suspects four months after the alleged murder of the reportedly infamous Jone Vakarisi while he was in military custody.

Vakarisi, 37, who was widely known for being on the wrong side of the law and reportedly linked to criminal networks, died on 17 April after being taken for questioning by soldiers to the Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF) headquarters in Suva.

His death was initially attributed to pre-existing conditions by the RFMF commander Ro Jone Kalouniwai, who was later forced to issue a “correction” when police classified Vakarisi’s death as murder after a copy of Vakarisi’s death certificate was leaked online, exposing massive blunt force trauma to his head and chest.

Vakarisi’s sister Melehola Tagaga told Pacific Waves at the time that he begged for his life at the military barracks in Suva before allegedly being “bruatlised to death”.

Several weeks later in May, Kalouniwai admitted that the RFMF was “at fault” for Vakarisi’s death, describing it as an “unintentional” and “regrettable” incident.

However, more than 120 days after Vakarisi’s death, an active murder investigation remains open, while no one has been charged or presented in court.

In late July, the Fiji Sun reported that the case file on Vakarisi’s death was expected to be forwarded to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

“Police Commissioner Rusiate Tudravu confirmed yesterday that investigators were completing interviews with those involved before finalising the file,” the newspaper reported on 21 July.

“I can state that people need to trust the process that we are following. Investigation has been done,” Tudravu was quoted as saying.

Earlier this month, the police commissioner told local reporters that investigators continue to carry out house-to-house inquiries, collect witness statements, and examine forensic evidence as the probe intensifies.

He also called for “patience, understanding, and continued public support” for the joint police and military taskforce.

Local and international human rights groups condemned Vakarisi’s death in military custody, saying it reflected a “culture of impunity” within Fiji’s military forces.

Amnesty International’s Pacific researcher Kate Schuetze said the RFMF’s shifting excuses regarding Vakarisi’s death raised “more questions than answers”.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
TMC Palau

Related Posts

OFC Pro League prepares for its second season

August 18, 2026

Fiji to increase littering fines fivefold from September

August 18, 2026

CNMI mayors warn of escalating meth crisis, ask for more DEA resources

August 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Demo
Our Picks

Putin Says Western Sanctions are Akin to Declaration of War

January 9, 2020

Investors Jump into Commodities While Keeping Eye on Recession Risk

January 8, 2020

Marquez Explains Lack of Confidence During Qatar GP Race

January 7, 2020

There’s No Bigger Prospect in World Football Than Pedri

January 6, 2020
Stay In Touch
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
  • Vimeo
Don't Miss

Palau tourism rebounds in 2026 as major markets post strong gains

Palau News August 18, 2026

By: L.N. Reklai KOROR, Palau (August 17, 2026) – Palau’s tourism sector is showing a…

Ngardmau Sets Special Governor Election for Sept. 18 as Court Case Nears Trial

August 18, 2026

OFC Pro League prepares for its second season

August 18, 2026

Chinese FM dismisses Palau president’s claims on China’s missile test launch as ‘groundless, malicious in intent, not worth mentioning’

August 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Contact Us
  • About Us
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Disclaimer
© 2026 ThemeSphere. Designed by ThemeSphere.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.